Key Information

Requirements for owner builders:

The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006 impose specific obligations on any person wishing to undertake domestic building work as an "owner builder". Domestic Building Work is defined in the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 which includes an number of exemptions for certain types of building work such as farm sheds. 

The principle requirement in order to carry out domestic building work as an owner builder is the need to obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board (a section within the Building Commission) when the cost of works exceed $12,000 (labour and materials calculated at current industry rates). A building permit cannot be issued until such time as the Certificate of Consent is provided.

For more information of the responsibilities and obligations of being an owner builder, visit the following websites:

Consumer Affairs Victoria - Building and Renovation
1300 558 181

Building Commission
(03) 92856 400

Swimming Pool and Spa Fencing

Swimming pool and spa owners in Victoria are required to comply with government standards and regulations that adequately protects the entire pool enclosure from access by young children. This includes the installation and on-going maintenance of pool fencing, self-closing and self-latching gates and other safety measures. These provisions apply regardless of when the swimming pool was constructed or installed.

A building permit is required for a pool or spa that is capable of having a depth of water exceeding 300mm. This applies equally to above ground and indoor pools. A pool safety barrier or fence is required to be installed and approved prior to the swimming pool being filled with water. For fibreglass "shell" type pools this may mean the installation of an approved temporary barrier until such time as a permanent barrier is erected.

The Building Regulations 2006 split swimming pools and spas into two distinct categories - those constructed or installed prior to 8 April 1991 and those after this date. The fencing requirements differ slightly between the two. All new pools and spas are required to be provided with a barrier that complies with Australian Standard AS 1926.1 & 2. This Standard was recently amended with the most significant change being the exclusion of any door opening into the pool enclosure from any building.

Contact Alpine Building Permits & Consultants for the latest information and advice on swimming pool and spa fencing. 

Protection of Buildings from Subterranean Termites

In the Alpine Shire Council district (and in the majority of other municipalities) there is a requirement to protect new buildings and additions from termite infestation.

There are a number of compliance options available to the home owner or builder and are outlined in the Building Code of Australia and companion Australian Standard AS 3660. If ALL primary structural elements (members) of the proposed building are from termite resistent or treated materials, then there is no obligation to provide any additional treatments.

Otherwise, acceptable barriers range from full sub floor and perimeter chemical spraying (installation by licensed operators required), physical barriers such as woven stainless steel mesh, graded stone particles and sheet materials to specific locations. A protection method involving regular visual inspections is also available when under floor access is possible.
To book inspections: 
Tel: (03) 5755 1589 
Glen: (+61)488 664 527